The Stained Glass Windows of
Saint Benedict Catholic Church
Stories from the Past, Present and Future
Behind the stained glass windows for the new Saint Benedict Parish there are several stories bringing the past, the present and future together.
The windows in the Narthex, Nave and Gathering Room come from the Sisters of Charity Mount Saint Vincent Motherhouse. These windows were made in the United States by Rambusch in 1958. The Sisters of Charity asked Sattler's Stained Glass Studio of Nova Scotia to remove these windows from the Motherhouse.
During this time they met Robert Doyle and were subsequently invited by Father O'Neill to consult and work on the stained glass windows for Saint Benedict.
In the Nave of the church the windows are grouped in three sets of three. The first three depict the infancy Narratives. The next three depict Jesus' Public Ministry. The final three depict the Passion and Resurrection.
Integrating the Motherhouse windows into Saint Benedict Parish brings the past into the present with their renewed life in a new "home". To do this required many of the same technically demanding skills as restoration. The Nave windows were originally rectangular and so required new Gothic tops, to fit the shape of the new openings. These top panels were created to match the existing glass in colour, style and painting.
Norbert Sattler chose to take the predominant background colour of each window and use several shades of it, in these new sections. Artist Sue Obata then painted the glass to match the rest of the window. New glass was also needed to replace areas where old horizontal support bars used to be located.
Norbert carefully selected appropriate glass colours and recut
new pieces to integrate these areas with the original design,
as opposed to simply placing a horizontal band of new glass in
the missing area. Each new piece of glass then required two steps
of hand painting and firing to match the glass painting around